Monday, March 1, 2010

Follow up appointment.

I just got word from my dear husband that Otis's appointment to get his stitches removed went splendidly. Apparently, our surgeon confirmed what I had hoped for--that he is healing ahead of schedule! So great news on all fronts--no more cone of shame for our little man-man, and the second surgery is scheduled for March 18th--exactly 4 weeks after the first.

See mom? Barely a scar!



Apparently, we are to continue heat treatments, massage and anti-inflammatory medication. We are also to continue using the sling to help him around outside and to monitor his activity. We can do that--that's for sure! If all goes well, he will be cleared for normal activity in early May...right when the semester dampens down and the warm weather ramps up. Perfect timing.

To be perfectly honest, I can't believe how well it's been going. I mean, yes, he's a handful to keep calm, but boy is he a joy to have around. He's just handled this whole thing so well. I like to credit our awesome puppy-parenting, but maybe it's just luck. ;-)

Can we please play something OTHER than "sit and catch without running or jumping"?


Anyhow, back to work. Just wanted to share the good news.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for making this blog. I recently had to face decision of whether or not to put my rescue dog (golden retriever mix) through a TPO. I was very worried about what recovery would be like for him and was reluctant to pursue surgery because of it. Seeing Otis' recovery gave me a better idea of what to expect and also reassured me that one day, my pup would be able to run again. Your blog really helped me make my decision and my dog is about 4 wks past his first surgery and doing splendidly. I am happy I opted to do the surgery. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear that your puppy is doing well! :-) This has been such a journey, but as I see our Otis running around, jumping in the lake, and otherwise perfect--it was worth it. Just take our advice and make sure you don't let him get overweight in the future. Otis got a bit hefty last fall (I was pregnant and Otis was gaining sympathy weight, lol), and he started limping again. Vet said--put him on a diet, and 8 pounds later, he was fine. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete