Friday, December 3, 2010

The holiday season.

I've seen a great improvement in man-man lately. He's getting some "junk in the trunk" now (i.e., his hip muscles are growing) and he's very spry in the snow. He's gaining confidence too--he'll jump and run and play on the ice in ways I hadn't thought he would.

This thanksgiving, my mother-in-law and brother-in-law brought up their 11-year-old golden to play with Otis.
 These two were inseparable. Max acted about 10 years younger and Otis showed his newfound strength. What a great holiday we had! Hikes and playtime...it was wonderful.

Then when I put up the Christmas tree, he and our kitty Butchie loved watching me decorate. Apparently the excitement of Christmas was too much for Otis, because he could barely stay awake as I tried to find places for the last of our ornaments...


I really hope that I continue to see this improvement through the snowy season. I worry a little that he might get a bit of arthritis when it gets bitterly cold--but our first accumulation last night (and his first rambunctious snowy playtime) went off without a hitch. I hope that as we approach the one-year anniversary of surgery number one (in February), he'll be inching closer to 100%...

Now if he'd only jump up into the car and go up the steps...

:-)

3 comments:

  1. It has been great to read your story. My puppy Jeccu 9 mo had the TPO operation one week ago. Your notes have been helping me a lot for my decision to go for the operation and will try your PT exercises also as soon we are cleared by our vet.
    My site is www.aurums.net, I started a blog for Jeccu there, that is the only English blog I have there.
    Hug to Otis and wish you a very happy Christmas.
    Sari and Jeccu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sari! I'm so so glad that you have found anything in this blog that might help you handle the situation. Good luck to you and Jeccu and I'll be following your progress as well!! Happy Christmas to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for this post. My dog recently was hit by a car and now I think she will need surgery. It's a tough situation, but I'm confident she'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete